Home

APSS SOPWITH 1 STRUTTER - History

 
  The Sopwith LCT 1 Strutter, not the best known aircraft of its period, was chosen by the Museum of Flight because of the important influence this design had on many subsequent aircraft, including the Pup and the Camel. Appearing first in December 1915 and a product of the powerful design team of Sopwith, Sigrist and Hawker, it was initially powered by a 110 h.p. Clerget 9Z rotary engine. It was the first British aircraft to have a fixed forward firing gun using an interrupter gear. Other novel features, were an in-flight adjustable incidence tailplane and flaps, which however, were not much, used. The centre wing supports consisted of a "W" structure, to save weight, and this led to the nickname of 1 Strutter.

The French, as well as Belgian, USA and other Air Forces also used 1 Strutters.

Technical Details :

Engine : 110 or 130 h.p. Clerget
Span : 33 ft. 6 in.
Length : 25 ft. 10 in.
Weight : Empty - 1,305 lb Loaded - 2,150 lb
Wing Area : 346 sq. ft.
Wing Loading : 6.2 lb./ sq.ft
Armament : One Vickers gun (fixed forward); one Lewis gun on Scarff ring mounting in rear cockpit.
Crew : Two
Maximum Speed : 102 m.p.h. at 6,500 feet
Service Ceiling : 15,500 feet
Rate of Climb : 540 ft./min. to 6,500 feet
Endurance : 3 hours.
Purpose : 2 Seater Fighter / Reconnaissance
Makers : Sopwith Aviation Co. Ltd., Kingston-on-Thames
Country of Origin : United Kingdom
Date in Service : May 1916

 

 

UP

The APSS is a registered charity in Scotland, charity No. SC033307
A member of the British Aviation Preservation Council